Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Colfax Half Marathon - 2013

Well its been what? A week since the actual race down in Denver?

Ugh.

I'm so horrible at blogging these days.  Who would have thought that I would be too busy doing life instead of wasting time blogging?  LOL.

So let's just jump right into it, and I won't make this long (famous last words).

As I stated I had walked over 2 miles to the Start, and that was a big mistake on my part I guess.

Once I got into the corral, it was only a short time before we were crossing the Start line.

I don't remember how far into it it was, but in the first 3 miles, we ran through the Denver Zoo.  I loved this part because all the animals were out, still cool and probably feeding time as well.  There were elephants, rhinos, flamingos, baby geese (running along the path with you), and many more.  It kept me distracted which I wish we could have ran the whole 13.1 through there :)   There were some slight little roll-y type of 'hills' but I was moving along pretty well.  Remembering that I was running probably a bit too fast so early on, well, just another factor that would make this not so great of a race for me.

I know that probably to most in Colorado this was indeed 'flat' but not to this girl.  I don't recall where the long inclines were for the most part.  EXCEPT for mile-ish 9.5 through 10.  We were headed back towards the Finish, the clouds had parted and the sun was out and hot.  Thankfully it was at my back and not beaming directly into my face.

However that long, long, slow incline up just about did me in.  I hated it. HATED.  And again it just flattened out, like all the rest.

Once we got to mile 11ish, there was some shade, I think I remember this was through sorta like a residential part?  The only thing about mile 11 I remember is this:

NOT my photo, but one I copied off of Becka's Twitter.  Thanks Becka!

Colorado Firefighters (Calendar men)!
I do miss some of the good stuff by not carrying phone/camera :)  I was clear on the other side of the street but the runners were spread out enough that I could see what I was approaching :)  I hightailed it to the other side just to get an up close gawk at them...SO hot.  :)

The rest of the way it was just run and walk, run and walk.

While it wasn't my worst finishing time, I'll say it again, this was my worst (experience).

I completely misjudged the effect of the high altitude would have on me.  It took a lot out of me and once I got to about mile 7 I was 'Am I ever going to finish this thing?'

When I did I was covered in salt.  The low humidity will do that to you.  Because of the salt, I had a bit of chafing but nothing that made me scream in the shower.  LOL.

The one thing I will say about this race is the nonsense of corraling you through all that crap after finishing.  You just couldn't find your way out!  I was hot, tired and just wanted to make my way out of there and to the main road so I could HOPEFULLY find a cab.

The thought of having to walk over 2 miles BACK to my hotel made me want to just burst into tears.

But once I did make it out and onto Colorado headed back in the general direction of my hotel, no sign of a cab anywhere.  I just walked and walked.  When I finally did see a cab it had someone already in it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

I was walking directly into the sun and I made the oh so smart decision to turn down one street so that I could be in the shade at least for a while.  By now I had resigned myself that I was walking the whole way back.

Suck.

But then just as I turned, I turned to the left as there were some kids out playing and a woman on the porch waved.  I stopped and she asked if I had run.  Um.  Duh.  :)

I then asked her if I could borrow her phone to call a cab.

She was like, what?  I will just drive you.

Oh happy happy happy day!

I didn't even hesitate when she said that.  I just kept thanking her over and over again. 

So nice to know that there are some trusting folks still out there and I like to think I would have done the same thing for someone.  Typing this now I just realized I haven't sent her a card to thank her.  BAD!  Must get that done this week!

I don't know that I will ever do another race in Colorado.  I might.  Stranger things have happened.

:O)

Through the Denver Zoo
Approaching the Finish

Done.  Thank the baby Jesus

Trying NOT to puke :)

1 comment:

Becka said...

Hooray, I get to see my firemen again!

Sorry you didn't have a better race. It did feel pretty flat to me, but I could be biased because I had a pretty good day.