Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Obsession #4 - The Course

When it comes to telling someone you are running the NYC marathon, its been my experience there are only 2 responses
  1. oooooooooooohhhh...how EXCITING!!!
  2. oooooooooooohhhh...wow....hmm...gonna be tough
Mike Lucas said..."wow. I hear you're running NYC? Thats...um...gonna be a challenge..." It was the look on his face and the tone of his voice...

Well I know its a combination of those two...but lets face it. Even though I have been training at a 4:30ish pace, its highly unlikely that that will actually come to fruition for me in NYC.

I acknowledge and accept this.

This however consumes my mind at all times...I have studied the elevation chart. I have read and read and read. I have talked to some that have done it. Its hard. I know this. Its 'hilly' which means to folks like me, you might as well be climbing mountains. Especially at mile 15 over the Queensboro which is #2 on the list of toughest marathon hills. And then you know...there are those last 5-6 miles that will go on forever through the hilly part of Central Park.

Theres not much I can do about it, but it still has taken over the majority of my thoughts.

I have my goals, a set of them, as its always been my way to make several so that if I miss one, then I have another one to shoot for...and another one...and another one. This way I dont feel defeated and have the attitude of "I didnt make my goal, why even go on at this point?"...Thats not the way I roll. And its not the way I am wired.

Bottom line is even if I miss all my time goals, the one goal above all is to finish. In one piece. I might be crying from pain, and I might be barely moving...anything can go wrong you know...but I will FINISH.

I have done the training, through ALL the trials and tribulations and there have been many...through a hurricane...through it all...one mile at a time...thinking back I cant remember a time that I didnt do exactly as I was supposed to...I never let ANYTHING get in my way...and I intend to take exactly that with me to the starting line in just a few more days...I have 3 miles this morning, 2 on Thursday, and 1 on Friday...

I will go back to something I wrote back in 2007 right before my first marathon, that at the time really the one thing I remember most about writing it was an email from someone I didnt even know at the time...but would come to later...very well...but I remember how much they loved what I wrote and took the time to write me and tell me how much they were impressed by the words...

So I leave you with this:

May my preparation meet my opportunity on race day one more time, and I unleash my potential to the best of my ability.

14 comments:

Jamoosh said...

My biggest concern at a marathon like NYC is the number of people - which can affect a time goal as much as a hill or two.

Tiggs said...

June- I honestly didn't notice the "hilliness" until I got to Central Park. Seriously. And I was way less prepared than you. You will rock it out.

dixie :o) said...

JB, I will be thinking of you constantly AND probably texting too ;o)......not to mention tracking your progress online.
RUN JUNIE B RUN!!!!!

Brooke said...

you, sweet friend, are a freaking rockstar! and you know it! i can't wait to follow along on sunday...you will do SO GREAT...hills and all! I have no doubt!

TX Runner Mom said...

I'm with Tiggs on this..I didn't notice the hilliness at all until one of the Houston Fit girls I was running with mentioned it. Yes, the bridges suck, but I think I got so caught up in the excitement of the crowds that it made it less noticable. In fact, I didn't find out there were hills until one of the Hfit coaches mentioned them...that's how naive and inexperienced I was (it was 8 months after my 1st marathon).

Sara said...

Junie, I'm so freakin' happy for you and all of your "ducks" lining up. I was going to say, "Make me proud!", but I think I'll just say Make yourself proud and the rest of us already will be. Love you.

Lisa said...

One word, "Enjoy".

Evan Guy said...

GO GIRL, GO!! WooHoo! I'll be on the edge of my chair reading your write up! And I'll see if I can find a real-time accounting of your performance.

GO!!

RedDaisy said...

You will so rock it!! You have prepared and you seem like you are in a good place right now. You will take each hill like you have each curveball life as thrown at you lately with vigor and determination. I can't wait for your post race report.

matt said...

It's still only 26.2, right? You'll be fine. Don't sweat the unimportant stuff -- "be dumb, just run."

You'll do great.

Steeeve said...

A year ago, Ryan Hall set the all time Olympic Trials record in Central Park, and Brett Riley set the all time Houston Striders record at the NY Marathon. My experience is that Central Park is just a beautiful, beautiful place to run; the hills are strictly secondary. You're gonna rock, and everything about the experience will dwarf any ups and downs in the course.

Priscilla said...

You will be great June, enjoy New York!

Pony and Petey said...

I'm thinking that you'll be so fascinated looking around at all the sites and caught up in the thrill of "I'M RUNNING NEW YORK!!" and the cheers of the crowds will spur you on and you may not even notice elevation changes much at all.

I can't wait to hear about it... hope you'll have time to post in detail = )

You know how much I like details... hahahahah

I'm praying for you!

L*I*S*A said...

You will be fine. Trust your inner voice. It won't let you down on race day.

Enjoy. :)