Tuesday, February 16, 2016

When The Running Bug Goes Away

Most recently I wrote something along the same lines as this next entry...
 
There have always been times I suppose where one gets on a 'kick' and it may last a few months or a few years.  I myself  have been through it many, many times.  My most recent example would be from about year 2001 to 2004 as it pertained to music and the road.  I am not going to rehash any of that (it was another blog too; long retired) and clearly before I took up running.
 
Then from about 2005 up through 2012 my life seemed to center around running.  Even in the few years after, but as I previously mentioned, it started to wane. 
 
And as in other ventures, once I start leaving something behind, while others don't I wonder why.  As in why do you still never sleep?  Why do you still go out 5 nights a week?  Why do you still drink alcohol?  Why do you still do 3 half marathons in 4 weeks?  Why?  Why?  Why?  And then there are those that run like insane distances ALL. YEAR. LONG.  Like it is consuming their life.  WTF?
 
I don't know maybe I am just coming off of a long training cycle where I typically begin to loathe the training towards the end and then just kinda fall in love with minimal miles again.
 
But I think it might be something more.  Honestly I don't even know if I will sign up for the half again this year which I've already dropped to 1 half marathon a year, but will this be the year where I go without not only a marathon but a half marathon too??  I guess I will make that call in June when it opens up.  Normally I would have signed up as soon as they open it up after the race for a certain number of folks, but eh, I was like, I'm just gonna take a nap..Then the next thing I knew it was Wednesday and the window was close for early registration.  Ha!
 
I mean I still have 2 races I've done that I haven't even blogged about.  Crazy.
 
I guess my point is that I have realized that running long distances is not doing me any favors.  It certainly doesn't detour weight gain, and in most cases it actually does the opposite right along with taking precious muscle along with it.

What I will tell you that I personally have found out is that the key to having a healthy body is 80% food and 20% exercise.  Eating enough.  Not eating too much.  Watch sugar and sodium intake.  And GET YOUR PROTEIN in.  Lord the protein! At least at this stage in my life.  And probably in yours as well.  Regular exercise WILL benefit your overall health but in the grand scheme of losing weight or fat?  Nope.
 
I am running about 12 miles a week right now.  TWELVE.  And I love it.  And the bonus of being fitter than I have been in a very, very long time.

AND half of those are done in HIIT (OrangeTheory; NEXT blog post I PROMISE!), with a run between 5-6 miles on either Saturday or Sunday.  I do have a 10K coming up and I kinda need to be able to at least do that.  :O)
 
Once I move in to March I will up the mileage on the weekend so I can finish a 10 miler I have in April (hindsight I wish I hadn't signed up for but whatev)
 
I don't know when this happened.  I mean I still love running for the most part, just not for long distances.  The need, or what I thought was the need, is just not there.  I have found other ways to be healthy, and running all those damn miles (even though it was just half marathon training) as I said was hurting me more than it was helping.
 
I wonder if I am just going through a phase?  So weird if I am because I am finally upping my fitness, and I can run faster, but I don't want to.
 
Ironic.
 
ps Sorry for the rambling posts as of late.  I promise I have 4 interesting posts to write; actually have them in draft so I don't forget.  I just need to write them already!
 


No comments: