Sunday, October 28, 2007

As I was running the 2.02 miles to the Start line of the Koala Houston Half this morning, I was dealing with the knee. Yes it was bothering me, but I trudged on through the dark, dodging the few vagrants on the street that early, and carefully hopping from curb to curb.

As I even left the quiet East End I could hear the band that was obviously playing there at SHP. I thought back to last year when this was my target race, never even contemplating that I would be doing the full marathon just a couple of months later. This year an injury kept me from PR'ing at the distance and the race itself.

As I got closer, maybe 1/2 mile away I heard a shot ring through the dark and I knew that the race had started. I knew in advance I wasn't going to make it for the beginning but I had promised GID that I would be there before he finished that first loop. And sure enough I made it with plenty of time to spare. I got to yell and cheer on some of my favorite runner friends who were all leading in the pack and that was indeed great. I stood with Jaclyn as she wasnt running this year either but was there supporting her husband. Her and I finished close together last year as we leap frogged the entire 13.1 miles.

It was indeed cold out there for those that weren't running and maybe that cold made my knee stop hurting, as it never hurt again. Even as I sit here now its not hurting, not even like it was when I woke up this morning. Weird.

I made it over to the Finish a good 5 minutes before the lead guy came in, and then one by one they trickled in.

I kept getting colder and colder, as the temp seemed to drop and the sun was nowhere in sight, having to push its way over the buildings of downtown and it became unbearable even. I managed to hang around for a while, but eventually just decided to leave when GID did, as a ride home instead of running the mileage back seemed to be a much better idea.

So after coming home I hit the gym, with 30 min of maniac on the elliptical and then another 45 minutes on weights, all upper body.

I figure if I can keep the fitness level up, heck even increase it with the weights, then if in 2 weeks I am still not up to the 15.5 miles I am supposed to be at by that time, then it will become apparent that I will have to drop to the half and bail on the full marathon this year. Next weekend is supposed to be a cut back week but not for me. I will shoot for 13-14, some of those with KW on Saturday and tacking on the rest at the end.

Here's to hoping that somehow I can overcome this injury and keep on track for what I have worked so hard for all this year.


Sarah said...

Where were you volunteering this morning? I must've missed you. Glad to hear the knee is feeling a bit better. It was definitely chilly when I was handing out chips from 5:30-6:30, but it was great for running.

Tiggs said...

Good to see you JunieB. I hope your knee gets better soon.

Vic said...

Awesome to see you. I looked for you after the race. I thought you were handing out medals. Anywho. See you soon.

JustJunebug said...

I was there handing out medals when the the first guy came through at 1:09 and then for a bit afterwards. I wandered off as I was freezing cold and the boy scouts along with Taylor and friend had it WELL under control. I was basically just standing around. I was only supposed to be there an hour anyway.

I volunteered at Lukes on Saturday afternoon as well.

See you peeps later!

L*I*S*A said...

Slow and steady wins the race. Keep up your strength, rest and you'll be fine.

Viv said...

Sorry the knee is still acting up. Sending recovery thoughts your way. I volunteered today at the 1/2 worked the finisher shirts. It did get colder as the morning went on, and I am sure that did not have a good affect on your knee as well.

barbara said...

I think a lot of times volunteering is harder than the running, particularly when it's cold, rainy, hot...pretty much anything other than 72 and no wind.

I'm about 90% sold on doing the half in January. I'm still planning on doing the 25k next month; that will have a lot to do with my final decision.

Steeeve said...

You betcha, every time somebody came to packet pickup on Saturday wondering whether they should race we turned 'em over to JB and - BAM! - they signed up.