Monday, September 30, 2013

Chicago Marathon Training Recap - Week 17

Well anyone that has been reading along knows that I am in my first week of taper!
 
And while it still might seem not exactly a taper, it is...At first I was like what?  Still a mid-week of 7 and 13 on Saturday?
 
Oh well, at least its not 20  :O)
 
Monday
Got up to run a short 3 miler before work, but it was raining.
Eh.
But then it POURED AND POURED AND POURED ALL DAY!
I took it as a sign, along with my sore legs (definitely DOMS from Saturdays 20 miler), that I needed to just chill.
So I did.  It was fantasic.
 
Tuesday
Up before 5am, out the door by 5:25
38deg!!!!!!!!
And no wind!!!!!!!  Note: we are getting dangerously close to that time where the winds are relentless no matter what time of day or night.  Its going to be brutal, but I learned from my first Winter here for sure.  I hope hope hope that what I've learned, that it will keep me on the roads running through even the coldest temps.  We'll see.
 
This morning obviously still a shorts morning (yay!!), although a long sleeve and an ear band.
To me when I can wear shorts and a long sleeve, its my perfect everything.
 
5 miles
 
Wednesday
 Some mornings, I just can't.
I'm exhausted.
Or something still hurts and the thought of running (even though I know its temporary until I get going) just makes me ... well ... not very willing.
This morning was one of those mornings.  Mentally Tuesday night I was ready, willing and able.
Then 4:45am came and I was like 'ugh'.
I even tried to tell myself instead of 7, do 5.
Didn't care.
It was even in the 30's...cool and fun to run!
Didn't care.

So after work, still didn't care.
But since it was a bit warm out, and I didnt want to wait, and I didnt want to sweat :O), I went to the gym and did an hour on the treadmill.

We'll just call this a win with a big fat W because I was {this close} to crapping out the entire day!
 
Thursday
 Switched Fridays rest day for today
 
Friday
3 miles before work
37 deg
18mph North winds
At least the winds were on the downhill and assisted me back home on the uphill :O)
 
Saturday
11 miles
36 deg with winds from the west (thank goodness!)
I was supposed to do 13 miles, but I had a couple of things bothering me: left knee and right (outside) calf
Better safe than sorry
Was just a BEAUTIFUL morning for a run.
With the much cooler temps now, and shorter mileage, I didn't get out the door until close to 6:15.
So lovely!
  
Sunday
Nada
Had 3 miles on my schedule, but my calf was worse than Saturday; especially going up or down the stairs at home, so I called it a no-go, sported compression socks all day pretty much and stayed off the leg as much as possible.
By the evening it was feeling MUCH better

TWO WEEKS TO GO!!
 


No comments: